I am not going to leave it like this. I won’t ignore the promises of God, I won’t forget the dreams He has given me. This image (below) reminds me that I’ve gone beyond the cross… I’ve been united into His death, but now I am united into His LIFE.
Well… that’s the theology. Now I’m going to put it into action.
Over the last two days I felt like I should fast. But it’s not a normal fast. He was saying I should fast “negative thoughts”. Funny huh? So I will. Given how hard it is for me to let go of the past and to move into the new things He has for me (new identity, new dreams, new hopes) I think His idea of fasting negative thoughts is a good one!Another verse He keeps bringing up for several weeks is this one:
You who call on the LORD, give yourselves no rest, and give him no rest till he establishes … Mark… – Isaiah 62:6-7
He has made that verse personal. He is telling me to give Him no rest until *He* establishes me. I have done this for about two weeks now and in that time I got a new church (where I just cannot explain how wonderful I feel). I’ve got the go-ahead to move houses, get a car and my business has begun to make sales every day, where I actually made a loss last month.
Ok, I’m convinced, it works! Many years ago I saw that Jesus said we “become what you believe” (in the Message version)
He touched their eyes and said, “Become what you believe.” It happened. They saw. – Mat 9:30
When I saw this, I immediately began to list all the things I believe. Since then I have gradually become many of those things.
Now I see that I must ask Him to establish me and my life. Ok! Let me start right now by listing here the things I want Him to establish in me and my life:
Lord I humbly bring to Your attention these things that You have spoken to me personally, or to me through people, or to me through Jesus in Your bible. As You say in Your bible, I remind You to fulfill these things in my life. Please Lord.
- He has said the faith in Christ Jesus has made me righteous and those who are IN Jesus are free from condemnation. He has said He will never again turn away from me, that He will pour peace to me like a river. He has said that the enemy CANNOT curse what He has not cursed… and He has not cursed me, I have peace with Him. He has said that the enemy will be so far from me that I won’t even have to think about him. Hallelujah! (*Bam!* Take that!)
- He has said He will restore “all of me” – and that means financially, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Everything that the enemy took from me during my life.
- He has promised that He will be *in* me and I will be *in* Him. He has promised to make me *like* Him. He said I can mature and eventually do the same things He has done. Walk like Him. In John 14 & 15 He promised that if I love the people around me (and I try to!) then He and the Father will make their abode (home) with me and they will send the Comforter to be with me.
- He has promised emotional restoration and that I will drink deeply FROM HIM and that HE HIMSELF will comfort me and I will flourish (Isaiah 66:11-14)… since He works through people, a lot of this will come through the new church He has sent me to, and the people there.
- I know that He has made me into an attractive man who has a lot to offer a partner, no matter what my past relationships have been like.
- I am me. When He looks at me, He loves me. He has said that He wants to connect to me emotionally.
- He has said through many people, many years ago, that He has the right woman/partner for me and He has said to me that He will bring her to me “when I am ready”. I will not doubt this and I will not stress about it. Three nights ago He said He will give me “comfort” to be alone until then.
- Two nights ago He said He is giving “peace” to me, so that I can rest and not strive.
- He said that if I spend myself on behalf of the poor and satisfy the needs of the oppressed (which I try to!) then He will guide me always and strengthen me Isaiah 58:6-12.
- He has given me a new church where I feel His touch in a way that I have never felt before and yesterday at the worship training, I saw that He wants me to be a lead singer! (Who? Me?) He appeared to me as I worshipped, as I felt those words, so I am certain of this.
- He wants me to learn the guitar so I can make up songs that reflect my heart towards Him – and then worship Him in my own words.
- I want to learn spanish so I can preach to 500 million people in their own language someday.
- I want to be used by Him – and He has said I will be. He has made great promises in this area. I will trust Him to complete His own work.
- I am free right now to get a new place and a newer car – and if He says I can do this, then it is certain that He will provide for it.
- He has provided a new person to work with in my business and He has said that He will cover the cost of this person.
- He has also said that this business will be a success (“you will eat the wealth of nations”, “prosperity”, “abundance”). Normally I would not focus on money, but since I have debt and I want to build many many orphanages for homeless children (and I need money for that), I’m going to be bringing this one to His remembrance! hehehe.
- (Added 1 Oct 2007) He said through my pastors that I will receive His Spirit without measure and that He will remove the blockages that stand in the way of this happening.
I am asking You to establish these things in me and my life. Thank You Lord.
You know, I hardly recognize myself in these words and promises, but I will set my face like flint on this. I will ask Him to establish these things in my life. And for a time I will fast negative thoughts. As funny as it sounds, I think it will work great. I will not be moved from this. I won’t participate in negative thoughts about myself, my life or my past and future. I will not doubt, I will not be concerned, I will not worry. I won’t be stupidly brave and reckless either, I’ll be sensible, just I just won’t permit negative thoughts.
As Edmund Burke said, “All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing”. satan uses low self esteem to make millions of good Christians do nothing. If other people believe in me, despite my past, then I can believe in the potential that He has placed in me. I will stride forward.
These are His promises and His words prosper, His words accomplish the things that please Him. My faith pleases Him. I please Him. These are the things I will ask for and I know that His words will not return unfulfilled.
For as the rain and snow come down from the heavens, and return not there again, but water the earth and make it bring forth and sprout, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
so shall My word be that goes forth out of My mouth: it shall not return to Me void [without producing any effect, useless],
but it shall accomplish that which I please and purpose, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. – Isaiah 55:10-11
I see that if we settle for less, then we get less – if we want more, then we get more. Perhaps why we need to keep on asking and knocking.
I said I need a new identity, but I see He has already given me one! I plan to carry through with His advice to fast negative thoughts at this time in my journey. I need to focus on His provision and His vision, which He has given: my full restoration and Him using me and complete emotional health and recovery from my past. I will give Him no rest until He establishes me… but in the humblest and nicest and most thankful way, of course.
Your sun shall no more go down, nor shall your moon withdraw itself, for the Lord shall be your everlasting light, and the days of your mourning shall be ended. – Isaiah 60:20
Thanks Lord. I believe You.
The wisdom of this approach is that by asking *Him* to establish me, the work and the design and the provision are His. I am a branch of His planting… to His glory.
you are a… branch of My planting, the work of My hands, that I may be glorified. – Isaiah 60:21
In decades to come, when things have gone right, people can look back on this post and say:
Wow, look at the posts before this date and the posts after this date. Hmmm… it’s on this date that Mark asked *God* to establish him and Mark decided to give God no rest (in a nice way) until God had completed *His* own words in Mark’s life.
I’m not saying I will never have sadness again. No. And I will always be authentic about my feelings in my blog posts. This is a fast for a season.
I said a few blog posts ago that a new wind was about to blow… well… it’s blowing. I sit here thinking about that woman who walked past me and I think… let her walk. I know who I am in Him, I know what He will establish in me, I know what I have to offer.
All of this applies to you. Ask and keep on asking. Knock and keep on knocking. The only question now is… what are you asking for Him to do in you… and will you persist?