In a previous post I wrote about faith, hope and love. This post is about love – your love!
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. – 1 Cor 13:13
- Faith is believing that Jesus’ work on the cross is completed and simply needs to be received. That is faith.
- Hope is about how you think and feel – and the key verse is “as a man thinks, so is he”
- Love is a verb, it’s about what you DO with your life, day and your energy.
The greatest of these is love, the bible says. And in Isaiah it says that no matter how hard the people tried, they could not connect to God because they refused to love one another. It says that they kept the sabbath, but then used that day to oppress someone – invalidating their efforts.
There is a meltdown happening, not just in the US but it’s worldwide. I wrote my political opinion on this here: Opinion: The role of governments in this financial mess. This post is more about the role for individuals to take in this mess.
The reason we focus on the US is because it is 25% of the world economy, 50% of military spending, something like 90% of patent revenue. It is a behemoth and when it sneezes, everyone else catches a cold. It has not only sneezed, it’s sniffing and has a runny nose… what’s happening?
While the newspapers go on and on about the numbers on Wall Street, there are real people are living real lies. This post is focussed on the real people and solutions that perhaps can enhance their lives. We do need to focus on what we can do – from a political and economic point of view – for people. It’s not a secondary idea, it’s the primary mission for those in leadership and for you and me in our lives!
Love is a doing word
May I quote Matt 25
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ – Matt 25:31-40
Look again at the verbs in that speach
- you gave me food
- you gave me drink
- you gave me clothes
- you looked after me
- you came to visit me
Now may I turn your attention to the pressing need which is growing and growing by the day. Remember that the Lord asks you for action. Love is an action, it’s something you do… it’s not dependant on your political view. Love is greater than faith and greater hope – according to the bible. It doesn’t save, but God esteems love very highly.
There is a massive event that I hope you don’t ignore. Tent cities are popping up all around the USA and in fact, popping up all around the world (South America, Europe, Canada).
Tent cities – basic info
NOTE: I previously had an image of tent cities in the US and beyond, but the author contacted me, explained that I was using the wrong information and asked me to remove it – which I have done. I am very keen to see someone fund a Google Earth development of a website which can be run by the community to track the development of tent cities. If anyone wants to fund this, I can run the project and get it built.
If you want to read more about this situation, here are some introduction articles. Note the dates of the articles, this problem has been around for a while… but the situation is rapidly deteriorating right now.
- Tent city highlights US homes crisis – BBC (14 March 2008)
- In hard times, tent cities rise across the country – MSNBC (Sept. 18, 2008)
- ‘Tent Cities’ Spring Up In The US – Sky News (Sept 19 2008)
- Hard Times Have Tent Cities Rising Across the Country – Fox News (Sept 18, 2008)
- ‘Tent cities’ of homeless on the rise across the US – Telegraph (20 Sep 2008)
- List of tent cities and links
- Several videos from actual tent cities
You will see that the news is reported by every type of channel, no matter which way they lean.
Tent cities – deeper details
On investigation I found an astonishing number of tent cities. Many are small, a few hundred people. Most seem to have the same story – people campaigning to get rid of them and police moving them on. It’s an astonishing lack of love for human beings. The full list of tent cities as collected from related articles is here.
- Tent cities are also found in the following cities: Chattanooga Tennessee; Columbus Ohio; Dignity Village in Portland; Athens, Georgia; Reno, Nevada; and San Diego, California;
- Deeper details about the specifics of how to help “Tent City in Seattle” (specifically) and still more detailed information can be found here.
- As usual wikipedia has a great overview of the development of tent cities. There is another wikipedia article about “Tent City 4” (eastern King County outside of Seattle) (there was a 2 and 3 also in Seattle).
Please consider your faith and pray that He will send workers into the harvest.
He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. – Luke 10:2
And if you look, in the very next verse… His disciples were sent out. The very ones who prayed for the Lord to send out His workers, they the ones praying became the workers.
So what am I saying? I’m saying: TAG! YOU’RE IT!! 🙂