I feel I must once again draw a distinction between two things. On the one hand scripture is clear that we can and must have an impact on this world by having faith that Jesus Christ has defeated sin and death in this world and released people. It is our job to speak into being those things that are not.
But that must not be confused by thinking that the people who are being set free by our faith in Him alreaady have eternal life. That is not the case. Jesus Christ healed and fed many thousands of people, but we have no idea how many of them actually changed their lives and followed Him. He gave the healing and provision as a free gift. Eternal life comes after the person chooses Him as Lord of their life.
Scripture is clear on this issue, it requires a choice…
Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. – Romans 8:9
These are uncompromising words. As this world transforms, as ears and eyes open up to the truth, as physical sickness recedes and spiritual bondages break off… even as that happens and this world is transformed… until the person makes a clear choice, they are not saved eternally. They certainly experience more life in the here and now, but they do not have eternal life yet.
But the good news is that as people see, hear and think more clearly – as sin and death draw back, releasing people – in this state of clarity I am optimistic that people will see the goodness of Jesus Christ and respond to Him. Of that I am certain, because as God’s grace floods this world, the Holy Spirit will work with the church in dramatic ways, and the church will be far more effective in the world.
My message is that we – the people, the church – are called to overcome this world using our faith in Him and that is how people are set free to respond to Him…
For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith. – 1 John 5:4
Whether they do respond or not remains up to them. I hope they will. I am certain that they will.
Cindy Jacobs calls this kind of prayer “prophetic intercession” where we state the truths that we find in scripture in an offensive and warlike way to overcome the evil in this world and set nations free. For more information on this kind of prayer read Cindy’s book: The voice of God.
Reading her words on prophetic intercession it reminds me that Jesus Christ told us what the keys are…
Mat 16:19 I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven; and
whatever you bind (declare to be improper and unlawful) on earth must be what is already bound in Heaven; and
whatever you loose (declare lawful) on earth must be what is already loosed in heaven
This book explains what has been bound in Heaven and what is loosed in Heaven. It is your and my unique priviledge to be alive at this time in human history when the Holy Spirit is moving to loose and bind all those things right here on earth. The fullness of the gentiles is coming in!
You see, no matter how people choose to respond to the message of reconciliation that we bring, it is the role of the church to become His fullness on the earth and to overcome the evil of this world through our faith in Him on the cross and the power of His resurrection.
Cindy Jacobs calls it prophetic intercession. Jesus Christ calls it the keys to Heaven… loosing and binding Heaven on earth.
We can loose and bind so many things, because so much has been done. But if you are looking for a good place to start, try this. One man’s sin resulted in death and so death reigned over all of us, but now through one man’s righteousness, God’s grace reign’s over all of us.
That is the message spelled out clearly in Rom 5:15-21 over and over. Here is my own summary of those verses based on the words given in the Amplified Bible…
- I bind death which came through one man’s failing/lapse/offense, but I loose God’s grace and favor which came through one Man Jesus Christ and now abounds and overflows. v15 AMP.
- I bind the condemnation that came through one man’s sin, but I loose the free gift of justification. v16 AMP.
- I bind death from reigning over us all because of one man’s tresspass/false step/falling away, but I loose God’s overflowing grace, favor and righteousness reigning through Christ Jesus, the Messiah, the Anointed One. v17 AMP.
- I bind the condemnation that came through one man’s tresspass, but I loose acquittal and right standing for all men through one Man’s act of righteousness for all men. v18 AMP.
- I bind that through one man’s disobedience many became sinners, and I loose that many are consituted righteous, acceptable and in right standing to God through one Man’s obedience. v19 AMP.
- I bind sin, but I loose that God’s grace has surpassed it and increased more and has superabounded. v20 AMP.
- I bind that sin reigned in death, but I loose that God’s grace reigns through Jesus Christ’s righteousness. V21 AMP.
These are just some of the things which our prophetic intercession must state boldly, forcefully and repeatedly.
I’d like to highlight three things about this…
- Firstly, it is very important to note that these things have occurred on the cross. Take a look at the past tense words that are used, for example in v20.
- Secondly, please note v18 says “for all men” and in v19 it says sin spread to “many” which we know is in fact to ALL, then it says that the same “many” (or all) are consituted righteous, acceptable and in right standing to God.
- Thirdly, this is a change of legal status. Jesus Christ said that did not come to do away with the law, but to fulfill it. Jesus Christ fulfilled the righteous requirement of the law. It’s a legal issue, a legal change…
Mat 5:17-18 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
Based on those words, we can rest assured that the law is still in place, still finding fault with human society, still judging our failures and imperfections.
But. He fulfilled the law’s requirements, that is what He came to do. That is why our binding and loosing is done in accordance with the law. (See the Amplified’s wording for Matt 16:19.) We state that because of His one act of righteousness that the reign of sin and death are unlawful and improper. Instead we state that the reign of God’s grace is lawful. The change has occurred, we simply enforce it through our faith, our prophetic intercession, our prophetic statements of faith.
This change is pivotal and occurs because of His one act of righteousness on the cross. The change is lawful! That is the key issue that you must comprehend if you are to interced for this world, your region, your family or for yourself.
Will people see and respond to Him as Lord, therefore receiving eternal life? I desperately hope and pray that they will, but it remains their personal choice. I am sure they will, because they will manifestly see in this world His goodness and His love for us on the cross.
But regardless of if they do respond or do not respond, we must still take our place, being salt and light, maturing and becoming His fullness as we prophetically intercede for this world in our role as ministers of reconciliation 🙂
Would you like to intercede for peace in your country or in the world? All you need to do is get a map of the area you want to pray for and get this list of scriptures (or download the MS Word version) and speak each scripture out over the area you are praying for. It’s as easy as that.
Book: If My people (v35!) (1+MB) – A free daily devotional which is under development. 167 pages.