I wrote a passionate warning in this post Occupy Wall Street (OWS) and 2 days later the authorities went in the opposite direction and began clearing many of the Occupy camps in the US.
I asked leadership to learn from history and I gave the example of Martin Luther in the 1500s – but it appears that leadership have shut their eyes and ears to the call to embrace love and mercy as the engine for growth because these things are righteous and attract God’s blessing.
I have written many posts in this same vein, drawing attention to the words written on the side of the Statue of Liberty and trying to explain that it was this committment to mercy and love which attracted the blessing of God right from the start of this once great country.
Abraham Lincoln knew that people must come before profits…
Instead the US Senate recently passed legislation that disrespects its own people…
The 2012 National Defense Authorization Act, if signed into law, will signal the death knell of our constitutional republic and the formal inception of a legalized police state in the United States.
Passed by the House on May 26, 2011 (HR 1540), the Senate version (S. 1867) was passed on Dec. 1, 2011. Now only one man — Barack Obama, a scholar of constitutional law — will make the decision as to whether the Bill of Rights he went to Harvard to study will be superceded by a law that abrogates it.
First, let’s be clear what is at stake. Most critical are Sections 1031 and 1032 of the Act, which authorize detaining U.S. citizens indefinitely without charge or trial if deemed necessary by the president.
The bill would allow federal officials to take these steps based on suspicions only, without having to demonstrate to any judicial official that there is solid evidence to justify their actions. No reasonable proof will any longer be required for the government to suspend an American citizen’s constitutional rights. – Huffington Post
Unsurprisingly there is a move now to impeach all the senators who signed this evil legislation.
5 Jan 2012 UPDATE
President Obama could have ignored the NDAA legislation and let it fail under the “pocket veto” rules. Instead, he signed it on new year’s even 2011/2012.
However, on the UPside, it’s one small step for the Justice John Paul Stevens, but one giant leap for the USA! Following on from a similar decision in LA and then Montana, in NY in a landmark decision “Corporations are not people”
Justice John Paul Stevens said “corporations have no consciences, no beliefs, no feelings, no thoughts, no desires. Corporations help facilitate and structure the activities of human beings, to be sure, and their ‘personhood’ often serves as a useful legal fiction. But they are not themselves members of ‘We the People’ by whom and for whom our Constitution was established.”
What does God (Jesus Christ) say?
Please let me remind you what I believe God promised as I wrote on 19 May 2009: An end to conflicts and revival.
- Claim 1: Revival everywhere
- Claim 2: The end of conflicts in the world
Claim 1… Revival everywhere… since that post we have seen:
- Churches and church leaders (home churches, groups, formal churches) all over the world are saying the same thing, which is that the Holy Spirit is moving everywhere. Prayer meetings are increasing everywhere. Thousands of groups are forming online where Christians support one another and pray for each other. There is no doubt revival has begun.
Claim 2… The end of conflicts in the world… since that post we have seen:
- Many dictatorships fall
- Democracy has increased in almost all countries, although it declined in the US Europe.
- The US is withdrawing forces from Iraq and Afghanistan – wars that we were told would never end
- Civil wars have ceased in Sudan, Nigeria, DRC and many other countries
Yes there is more to do. Much more. But just days ago I felt God confirming again to me that this – peace worldwide – is still going to happen and it will happen through faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ on His cross.
I want to add another quote. This time it goes back to my writing on the 14th May 2009 (as I recorded in An End to Conflicts and Revival 2) – this is the longer term vision for this world based on the book of Isaiah…
- I expect the Presence of God/Jesus Christ to increase in the world (Is 60:19-20, Is 65:24, Rev 21:3) and as a result, I expect that revival will begin to come to any part of the earth where people are using their faith to receive from Him
- I expect to see the healing of all the nations to begin and continue (Rev 22:2) and as a result, I expect that sickness, distress and wars will decrease and then entirely stop (Is 60:18, Is 60:20, Is 65:19, Is 65:25, Rev 21:4)
- I expect people to live a lot longer and for death and decay to cease to be a problem (Is 65:20)
- I expect everyone in the earth have a home and live in it, everyone will have work and enjoy their work (Is 65:23)
A last gasp tide of evil that must be resisted
The tide of evil knows the end if near and it wants to entrench itself all around the world.
Locally in South Africa the government is trying to bring in “Protection of Information Bill” laws to suppress the reporting of the media and another law waits in the wings to create a “Media Tribunal” to punish media/newspapers who write information that the government doesn’t want written.
Italy and Greece both had coups a few weeks ago where an elected leader was removed and an unelected official put in power. (In the case of Italy that unelected official is an ex-employee of Goldman Sachs!) In both Italy and Greece these are no plans to have an election to validate their appointments democratically. These were coups, plain and simple.
Sanity begins to prevail…
There seems to be some momentum building to put the life of people first and to devalue “me first” selfishness of our culture.
Three Republican presidential candidates, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Sen. Rick Santorum (Penn.), and Rep. Michele Bachmann (Minn.), signed a vague pledge sponsored by Personhood USA affirming their support for an anti-abortion, “human life” amendment to the Constitution. – Huffington Post
I hope they carry through with this and are blessed as a result.
On 12 Feb 2010 I wrote a post called The God Who keeps His promises and I explained that the snow storm the US was facing was in fact spiritual in nature and will result in change. That change was the emergence of the Tea Party from nowhere within 2 weeks after that storm.
In this more recent post (26 Sept 2011) The feast of Tabernacles, the end of captivity, Sabbath rest I wrote that I felt that September through to October 20th would be pivotal. During that time the Occupy Wall Street movement sprang up.
It begins with us Christians
Governments do not HAVE to be bad. There is no rule or law demanding that leadership does the wrong thing. Governments can do the right thing and attract God’s blessings.
And because in a democratic country the government is an expression of it’s own people, it is the people who have to become morally conscious and begin to value human life and become active in social justice.
That is why I’m excited about the Occupy Movement – is the absolute commitment to put people before profits, social justice, caring for the poor and love in general.
This desire to do the right thing begins in prayer, revitalizes the church, forms social movements (like Occupy) and then results in democratic change.
Occupy is right to say “people before profits”…
the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. – 1 Tim 6:10
Whether they know it or not, they are fulfilling Jesus Christ’s one command, to love one another.
This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another. – 1 John 3:11
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? – 1 John 3:16-17
Some more useful links…
- A Declaration of Interdependence – New Common Sense (fb, youtube)
- Ever wondered what democracy will look like in future? Read the notes of a typical General Assembly for an Occupy movement http://occupylosangeles.org/?q=node%2F2699 and take note of the frequency that these people mention helping one another
- Occupy Theory
- My own Occupy Movement Stack in Delicious